Our latest Gin Friday cocktail – The Blackberry Smash – comes courtesy of Aldi’s Oliver Cromwell Dry Gin.
Not only does it contain lovely antioxidant rich blackberries, but it’s the perfect accompaniment to smashing up your actual BlackBerry, if like mine it stopped running all the useful functions on Dec 31st…
Aldi’s gin beat lots of leading brands in a taste test a few years ago and they still haven’t put the price up by much…
50 ml Oliver Cromwell London Dry Gin
½ a cup of white sugar
½ a cup hot water
25ml fresh lemon juice
6 mint leaves
Sparkling water to top
- Fill a tall glass and a cocktail shaker with cubed ice
- To make blackberry syrup dissolve the white sugar in the hot water. Once dissolved add in 10/12 blackberries and allow to cool down to room temperature before straining and chilling in the fridge
- Add 25ml of blackberry syrup and all ingredients (except the sparkling water) to the cocktail shaker
- Shake hard for ten seconds and then strain through a tea strainer into the ice-filled tall glass
- Slowly top with sparkling water
Garnish with a lemon wedge, blackberry and large mint sprig. Finely dust with castor sugar to give a frosted look.