Starting to think about Summer holidays? Booking for a family is obviously fraught with its own issues (will there be a travel cot, will we struggle with the buggy up a billion stairs? etc) but being stung for un-necessary costs need not be one of them.
The nice people at momondo have put together a few tips based on their extensive research of travel stats. According to them, “The price of a hotel room always goes up and down. Seasons, popular events in a destination and the time of booking are all essential factors to bear in mind, which influence price. Costs of hotels can vary dramatically and there is potentially a lot of cash to save by paying attention to a few aspects that are essential to hoteliers, when they set their rates.”
And they’ve also put together a handy chart showing peak times in key cities.
And momondo have a few tips on getting the best flight deals too:
- Book your trip 53 days in advance to get the cheapest tickets – and you can achieve average savings of 26%
- Tickets are generally most expensive on the day of departure
- Evening departures between the hours of 6pm and 12am typically offer the cheapest fares
- It is usually more expensive to fly in the morning and midday, before 3pm
- A Tuesday is generally the cheapest day to fly
- Saturday is routinely the most expensive day of the week to fly
Get more advice and compare rates at momondo.
momondo.co.uk is a free, independent and global travel search site that compares billions of prices on flights, hotels, car hire and holiday rental.