Ahhh, who said romance was dead… Fire up Netflix and re-discover a few of these…
Jack and Rose’s kiss on the front deck of the Titanic is the best movie kiss of all-time, according to new research.
The tender moment between Kate Winslet and Leonardo DiCaprio’s characters takes place seconds after Rose utters the famous line, “I’m flying”.
The multi-Oscar winner fought off competition from The Lady and the Tramp’s meatball scene and the smooch between Sam and Molly in Ghost.
While Han Solo and Princess Leia’s embrace in Star Wars Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back also featured in the top 50 greatest movie kisses.
The research of 2,000 UK adults was commissioned by TLC to celebrate the launch of its new TV show, Love At First Kiss, which airs on Wednesdays at 9pm from 11 January.
A spokesman for TLC said: “Kisses are such a big part of movies so it’s fascinating to see which ones have had the biggest impact.
“For many people, their first experience of a ‘proper’ kiss is likely to have been seeing one on screen.
“So perhaps respondents had a sense of nostalgia when it came to voting for their favourites.”
Pretty Woman’s fire escape kiss came fourth, followed by the snog at the end of Dirty Dancing – and Bridget and Mark’s kiss in the snow in Bridget Jones’s Diary.
Spiderman’s upside down smooch came seventh while the rain-soaked embrace between Holly Golightly and Paul Varjak in Breakfast at Tiffany’s came eighth.
Bella and Edward’s first kiss in Twilight also appeared in the top 50, along with the “you had me at hello” moment from Jerry Maguire and the elevator kiss in Romeo + Juliet.
The scene where Ron and Hermione finally kiss in Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows featured too.
While Rhett Butler and Scarlett O’Hara’s embrace in Gone with the Wind after he says the words “you need kissing badly” came ninth.
Thirty per cent of Brits said romantic films are their favourite type of movie to watch on a date – however over a quarter said they would feel awkward watching one on a first date.
Almost half of respondents think movie kisses are realistic and three in 10 said onscreen romance has influenced how they go about their love life.
A fifth of people reckon watching a film with a date which features a smooch or two, improves their chances of sharing a kiss at the end of the night.
Forty six per cent of respondents think it’s possible to fall in love from the first kiss, while seven in 10 think first impressions count when comes to kissing.
Another kiss in the rain, this time from The Notebook, came eleventh – while the first kiss between Vada and Thomas J in My Girl also appeared in the top 50.
Casablanca’s “Kiss me as if it were the last time” embrace, Shrek and Princess Fiona’s kiss which turns her into an all-ogre – and Keira Knightley and Andrew Lincoln’s snog feature too.
Clare Laycock, VP, Head of TLC said: “In Love At First Kiss, participants are invited to kiss fellow contestants without an introduction.
“If they like each other, they can then choose to go on a speed date followed by a proper date – so first impressions really count.
“The iconic kisses featured in our survey may well give romantic singletons some inspiration and encouragement.
“Many of us will experience a nerve-wracking or exciting first encounter… and perhaps one that isn’t quite as perfect as we see in films.”
Love At First Kiss airs on Wednesdays from 11 January, 9pm on TLC.
TOP 50 MOVIE KISSES:
1. Titanic (kiss on the front deck of the Titanic)
2. Lady and the Tramp (kiss at the restaurant)
3. Ghost (Sam kisses Molly before he passes over)
4. Pretty Woman (on the fire escape)
5. Dirty Dancing (kiss at the end)
6. Bridget Jones’s Diary (Bridget kissed Mark in the snow)
7. Spider Man (when Mary Jane kisses Peter Parker upside down on the roof)
8. Breakfast at Tiffany’s (kiss in the rain at the end)
9. Gone With the Wind (when Rhett Butler kisses Scarlett O’Hara and says ‘You need kissing badly’)
10. Star Wars Episode V – The Empire Strikes Back (Han Solo and Princess Leia’s kiss)
11. The Notebook (kiss in the rain)
12. An Officer and a Gentleman (kiss between Richard Gere and Debra Winger)
13. Shrek (kiss between Shrek and Princess Fiona which sees her turn into an all-ogre)
14. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Ron and Hermione finally kiss)
15. Love Actually (Hugh Grant and Martine McCutcheon)
16. Casablanca (Ilsa asks Rick Blaine to ‘Kiss me as if it were the last time’)
17. Romeo + Juliet (kiss in the elevator)
18. E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial (telepathic link between E.T. and Elliott causes the latter to recreate the classic kissing scene from The Quiet Man (which E.T. is watching at home) in the classroom)
19. It’s a Wonderful Life (kiss between George Bailey (James Stewart) and Mary (Donna Reed)
20. Pride and Prejudice (Elizabeth and Darcy kiss at the end)
21. Twilight (Edward and Bella’s first kiss in her bedroom)
22. 50 Shades of Grey (Christian and Anna’s kiss in the elevator)
23. Raiders of the Lost Ark (with injured Indy not wanting Marion to tend to his wounds, she starts kissing the places that don’t hurt – including his lips)
24. Top Gun (Maverick and Charlie love scene)
25. Love Actually (Keira Knightley and Andrew Lincoln)
26. From Here To Eternity (kiss between Milton Warden (Burt Lancaster) and Karen Holmes (Deborah Kerr) on the beach)
27. From Russia With Love (James Bond and Tatiana Romanova’s kiss)
28. My Girl (first kiss)
29. The Princess Bride (when Buttercup realised Wesley wasn’t dead)
30. Never Been Kissed (kiss on the baseball stadium)
31. Back To The Future (kiss between George McFly and Lorraine Baines at the end of the movie)
32. Rocky (kiss between Rocky Balboa and Adrian Pennino)
33. Cruel Intentions (Kathryn kisses Cecile on the lawn)
34. Princess Diaries (kiss in the garden at the end)
35. Brokeback Mountain (kiss on the mountain)
36. When Harry Met Sally… (Billy Crystal and Meg Ryan’s kiss at the end)
37. From Here to Eternity (kiss on the beach)
38. Breakfast Club (when Claire kissed John at in the parking lot)
39. The Goonies (Mikey Walsh (Sean Astin) and Andy Carmichael’s (Kerri Green) accidental kiss in the dark)
40. SPECTRE (Daniel Craig and Monica Bellucci’s kiss)
41. Jerry Maguire (‘You had me at hello’ kiss)
42. Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade (Indiana Jones and Alison Doody’s kiss)
43. The Quiet Man (kiss in the rain)
44. Amelie (Amelie and Nino Quincampoix exchange playful kisses)
45. The Godfather Part II (kiss of death between Michael and Fredo Corleone)
46. To Catch A Thief (kiss between Conrad Burns (Cary Grant) and Frances Stevens (Grace Kelly))
47. The Fault in Our Stars (first kiss)
48. Atonement (Keira Knightley and James McAvoy’s kiss)
49. Clueless (Paul Rudd and Alicia Silverstone’s kiss)
50. Lost In Translation (kiss between Bob Harris (Bill Murray) and Charlotte (Scarlett Johansen))